Jul 5, 2016

Webtoon: Winter Woods


From LINE WEBTOON:

A few thousand years has passed since an alchemist created Winter. He is now living with Jane learning what it means to be alive as a human.

Frankly, I'm not really into manga/manhwa. I don't particularly have a favorite genre, either. I discovered Winter Woods about a year and a half ago, and I got hooked from the very first chapter. Winter Woods is a fantasy, supernatural romance webtoon written by Cosmos and illustrated by Van Ji. It is still ongoing with publication every week at LINE WEBTOON.


It begins with a story of a boy who is created a thousand years ago by his master (an alchemist). The master wants a son of his own after his wife and newly born son died. Since then, he digs up various body parts from corpses and assembles his own "son." His last creation named 1001, who becomes the story's main character, comes alive and begins his journey to learn how to be human. One cold night, he meets with Jane and decides to live with her learning what it means to be alive. Jane gives him a name, Winter Woods.


To go with the Frankenstein-ish theme going on, Winter Woods has an Edward Scissorhands vibe to it (oh boy, I love all Tim Burton's movies!!). Winter's innocence and misunderstanding without any prior knowledge are so similar to Edward. Living in isolation after the death of his master has left him emotionless and very child-like. Moreover, Winter's heart doesn't beat like a normal human being that he is considered undead.


As the chapter goes on, things are getting more exciting and interesting. Lots of plot twists and I am completely trapped with the story. Winter Woods has a darker side to it and events that are totally unexpected. This one also has slice of life coupled with a journey of self-discovery. It has a little bit of everything. It's dark, creepy, funny, sort of Gothic in a way, but most of all, full of mystery. This gives me so many feels because it always has a complete mix of emotions for every single chapter. The webtoon constantly (and successfully) teeters just on the right side of that fine line between creepy and cute in the most wonderful ways. You'll never understand what I mean until you read it yourself. ☺️ The flashbacks with the inventor are very well-told, too.

Doesn't he look less pale and more alive now? He is becoming more colorful than he has ever been.

I love all the characters in it, each of whom has a lot going on in their lives and pasts. They are well-developed and even with their flaws they are likeable. Everyone has their own secrets and are somehow connected to each other. Forgive me, but I always have a soft spot for male main characters. Winter isn't exactly the sweetest character ever, but it is hard not to like him. You gotta love Winter and how innocent and adorable he is. Just like other people, he wants to be alive as a human, to be normal, to be loved and to be precious to someone. I could relate to Winter's gentle, shy, loving character and you have to admit, he does look very huggable ☃️ *oops*
Ah.. Love is in the air~~~

As a reader, the story is very important to me and so is the artwork. Winter Woods has great art style that is so captivating and stunning. The backgrounds are detailed and beautiful. I would even go so far as to say that this is one of the best artwork of all webtoons I've ever read. To the creators of this webtoon, you are awesome. There is no word to express this webtoon. I ❤️ IT. SO SO MUCH.

Since this webtoon is still ongoing, so I can't say much. I only hope everyone finds happiness in the end. Please, I just can't accept a tragic ending for this one. I would recommend this webtoon to anyone who enjoys a romantic mystery. And then, in the end, I wish Winter would grow eyebrows... But nevermind. With or without them, Winter still looks wonderful.
It seems like he wants to have eyebrows so bad. So heartbreaking it only happened in his dream. His very first dream. Ouch. ☹️
Share:

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. I finished reading all the chapters yesterday and damn, I'm crying and at the same time laughing badly at 12 midnight. This webtoon contains so much feels. <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm more than pleased to read a comment from you. Feel free to comment! :)

Total Pageviews